Tuesday, July 26, 2016

China reflection
July 26, 2016

China reflection

I have been in China for almost one whole month. Looking back on PDO seem like so long ago, but yet again I wish this program would never end. Living in the dorms was like a taste of what college would be like in 2 years. But living with a host family has been entirely different. Being completely emerged in a society that has such a different culture and language than you are used to is describable. Of course my family was excited for my arrival, but I am still not used to their customs and traditions. I also had many generalizations and ideas of what a Chinese family would be like. For example, my family does not all eat meals together. It is more of like an "eat whenever you want" type of environment. Our chaperones had always told us never to shut our bedroom door because it is rude, but my host sisters always shut their door and tell me to shut mine to "keep in the AC". They are also very tech savvy, meaning they are glued to their phones just like Americans.

Then again, this is not like all Chinese host families. Most of my friend's families are very traditional with eating meals together, very punctual, and formal. What bothers me though is how their maids are treated. My host family has a nanny/ maid who is from the Philippines and has been working for them for over a year and a half, which means she has been with them for the majority of their son's life. This seems to be very common for most wealthy families in China.
What I have noticed is that their culture is very different than American's when it comes to family dynamics. Most parents in America are worried about their child becoming to attached to their nanny if they get a full-time one, but it seems like most maids/ nannies are treated as 2nd class citizens. I understand that it is their job to work for the family, but I feel as if they are treated more as a servant than a nanny. She does a lot of work for them, not only with the baby but also around the house. But sometimes the nanny will not eat because she is too busy taking care of the baby or other things. I haven't gotten the chance to talk to her much because she is always busy, but I did ask her if she liked China and her only response was, "I miss home very much". Although their views are different than what I am used to, my host family is very kind to each other in their own ways. As I said before, they seem to be more western than other Chinese people I have encountered. It has been interesting to see how different countries have different views, especially about small things. Prior to coming to China, I knew that their values and customs would be very different, but being in a first-handed environment has given me a variety of perspectives to learn from.

Being in a country that adores 外国人 (foreigners) is also strange. Being asked for pictures and being stared at is a little shocking. In America if an foreigner walks by no one blinks an eye, but in China people will swarm around them taking selfies. Also being in a place that is jealous (for lack of a better word) of my home country is shocking. Everyone here has so many questions about America; they are so educated about our lives while I didn't even know who the Leader of China was until last week. In addition, when students are so passion about going to American Colleges, it makes me think why America is so much better. They refer to America as a place with more opportunities and a safer place to build a family, but is it any safer.

Since the first day I was here in 厦门, there has been a shooting or attack somewhere, a lot in America. Being in China makes me feel safe. It is interesting hearing about the news from the outsiders perspective. Instead of hearing it on the TV in my living room, our chaperones talk about it. Being in China, I feel so far away from the world's troubles. Coming to China has definitely been a break for me from our broken society.



1 comment:

  1. I can't believe you've already almost been there for a month, well actually a month since you left to go abroad your trip. I'm sure a lot of people miss you but yeah the whole experience with it being like college must be great. Wow this is quite a very deep post especially about how the outside perspective.. Also the picture is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete